Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
A Few Do's and Don'ts
If you experience fire damage, our team at SERVPRO of St. Charles is available 24/7/365, even on holidays and weekends. We understand how difficult and stressful it can be when faced with the smoke odor, debris and soot damages within your property. Our team as the expertise and equipment to restore your home after an unexpected fire damages. We are always here to help.
While you wait for our emergency restoration services, read below for a few tips on how to get the cleaning process started.
Please prioritize safety before reentering the damaged property.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (630) 377-7062
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.